Browse Items (67 total)

  • Tags: Salisbury

Yadkin_Valley_Herald_Fri__Nov_22__1918_ - Rules Govern.jpg
Newspaper Clipping:

Rules Governing Management Flu Yadkin Valley Herald, Salisbury NC Nov 22, 1918

Adopted by the Rowan County Board of Health for Parents, Guardians, Householders and Adults Capable of Transmitting the Disease.

The…

Spanish Influenza 1918.pdf
Rowan County & the 1918 Spanish Influenza   Slide 1 & 2. Title & Timeline At the time of the 1918 Influenza Epidemic, the world was still at war. Soldiers returning from overseas were the first to contract the flu and the virus initially…

Narrative for Rowan County  the Spanish Influenza.pdf
A narrative of the Spanish Flu 1918 in Rowan County

Salisbury Red Cross Nurses - Christmas Day 1918.jpg
Salisbury, NC Red Cross Nurses - Christmas Day 1918

Spanish Influenza 1918.pdf
A summary of Rowan County's battle with the Spanish Flu of 1918.

bpc57.jpg
Another view of the enlarged Whitehead Stokes Sanatorium.  The Albertype Co. Brooklyn N.Y.

bpc20.jpg
Whitehead-Stokes Sanatorium, opened in 1899 as a 40-bed facility, grew to a 60-bed hospital by 1921.  Located at the northeast corner of Fulton and Liberty Streets, it served the community until Rowan Memorial Hospital was opened in July of 1936. No…

bpc19.jpg
Entrance to the Whitehead-Stokes Sanatorium Whitehead-Stokes Sanatorium was opened in 1899 at the northeast corner of Fulton and Liberty Streets.  The 40-bed facility was named Dr. John Whitehead and Dr. J.E. Stokes who ran the facility along with…

bpc72.jpg
This stately home was located at the corner of West Innes and South Ellis Streets and was the residence of Lee Slater Overman, a United States Senator.  The house was torn down to build a bank.  Lee Slater Overman was born in Salisbury.  He was…

bpc62.jpg
The home of Honorable R. Lee Wright, located at 302 South Fulton Street, was built in 1912 by architect Louis Asbury.  Asbury, an architect educated at Trinity College (Duke University) in Durham and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was…

bpc42.jpg
The residence of James Hill Ramsay, located at 208 South Fulton Street, is now the Rowan Oak House, a Bed & Breakfast. Built in 1901, the house is an elegant Queen Anne Victorian featuring wrap-around porch, and leaded and stained glass…

bpc40.jpg
The Hambley-Wallace house was built for Egbert Barry Cornwall Hambley, an English mining engineer in 1902.  The two-and-a-half story yellow brick Jacobean styled structure was designed by Charles Christian Hook, a Charlotte architect, and built by…

bpc37.jpg
The A. H. Boyden House at 204 S. Church Street was most likely built by one of the previous owners of the property, possibly Adlai Osborne or Spruce Macay, and added to by later owners.  It is known that A. H. Boyden made further additions to the…

bpc36.jpg
The Walter Steele Blackmer residence was located at 425 West Horah Street. Walter Steele and Clara de Roulhac Alderman Blackmer had three sons, Walter, Sidney, and Luke. Blackmer, a local businessman, was the son of Luke Blackmer, a prominent local…

bpc70.jpg
National Cemetery, Salisbury, N. C. Pub. By Theo Buerbaum, Salisbury N. C.Salisbury Historic National Cemetery https://www.cem.va.gov/cems/nchp/salisbury.asp

bpc33.jpg
Drive in National Cemetery, Salisbury N.C. No series no. Published by Theo Buerbaum, Salisbury, N.C.

bpc71.jpg
As an inducement to people to buy lots in the new Fulton Heights neighborhood, Salisbury’s first development outside of the city’s boundaries, promoters opened Fulton Heights Park in 1906.  The July 4th celebration included a sunrise salute, parade,…

bpc29.jpg
Chestnut Hill Cemetery is the burial place of Cathew Albert Rice (born March 9, 1857, died February 2, 1907) and his wife Carolina V. Marsh Rice (born June 7, 1863, died March 14, 1946).  The monument was made by Carolina Marble & Granite Co. No…

bpc89.jpg
Dr. W. H. Goler was the second President of Livingstone College.  He was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in 1846.  He moved to Boston in 1870 as an apprentice brick-layer. In 1873, he entered Lincoln University Prep School in Pennsylvania.  He received…

bpc64.jpg
Monroe Street, formerly Statesville Road and College Avenue, was commonly known as “Faculty Avenue.” This area is part of the Livingstone College Historic District.  The first home pictured was that of James E. K. Aggrey, member of the faculty, and…

bpc53.jpg
Ballard Industrial Hall was constructed in 1887 from bricks made from the clay pits on campus.  Students in the Industrial Department performed most of the work.  The  building was named for Stephen F. Ballard and has been used as a main classroom…

bpc23.jpg
Joe Ballard, born December 20,1825, worked as a skilled blacksmith until he was a very old man.  He was a weather prophet, politician and philosopher and one of Salisbury’s most notable citizens.  He died February 25, 1917 and was buried with Masonic…

bpc22.jpg
Joe Ballard, born December 20, 1825, was a beloved figure in Salisbury.  He was the slave of Miss Margaret Ballard who married John M. Horah, Clerk of Superior Court. Ballard continued working for them after the Civil War had ended.  He was a skilled…

bpc43.jpg
According the Heritage of Rowan County, the Rowan House was built in 1772 by carpenter Joseph Atkins for Henry Hughes.  Legend has it that Andrew Jackson lived at the Rowan House while studying law under Spruce Macay and that Jackson played cards…

bpc61.jpg
Confederate Monument Salisbury, N.C. Located at West Innes and Church Streets, “Fame,” the Confederate monument, honors Rowan County’s soldiers who fought heroically in the Civil War.  The sculptor was Frederick W. Ruckstuhl and the statue stands 14…

bpc49.jpg
On the corner of Jackson and Fisher Streets was the home of Leo Cohen Wallace, Sr. (ca 1910-15).  To the rear of the Wallace home is the home of Richard Eames, Jr. on South Jackson Street.  Today, both houses are still standing and the Rowan Public…

bpc11.jpg
Court House, Salisbury N.C. No series—Pub. by Theo Buerbaum, Salisbury N.C. The Rowan County Courthouse built in 1855 is one of North Carolina’s most important Greek Revival buildings.  Local contractors Conrad & Williams erected the structure. …

bpc18.jpg
Named in honor of Governor Zebulon Vance, the Vance Cotton Mill was organized in 1891 by N. B. McCanless, D. R. Julian, Dr. C. M. Van Poole, Julius Lineberger, Rev. Francis Murdoch, and others.   It was located at 1303 North Lee Street.  Murdoch was…

bpc17.jpg
Salisbury Cotton Mill was built in 1888 and operated continuously for 111 years at the same location, 705 South Railroad Avenue.  The mill was founded as the result of a revival meeting that took place in Salisbury at the Farmer’s Warehouse in…

bpc16.jpg
The Kesler Cotton Mill was organized in 1895.  It was named for Tobias Kesler, a wealthy farmer and the mill’s largest stockholder.  Other stockholders included Napoleon Bonaparte McCanless, D. R. Julian, O. D. Davis, and the Rev. Francis Murdock. …

bpc68.jpg
The First Methodist Church was formed between 1780 and 1784 as part of the Yadkin Circuit.  The church building and parsonage pictured here were approved for construction in 1857.  A. B. Herndon designed this Romanesque style church.  It was…

bpc88.jpg
Episcopal Church, Salisbury N.C. This view is hand-colored and of a larger format than the other postcards.  It also shows the additions made in 1909.  Albertype Post Card

bpc65.jpg
St. Luke’s Parish, established by act of Colonial Assembly, 1753, extending West to Pacific Ocean, Salisbury N.C. This is the black and white version of an early view of the church.  Raphael Tuck & Sons’ Postcard Series No. 0201 “Salisbury,…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-xml, rss2