#9017 American Association of University Women (AAUW)
American Association of University Women (AAUW)
Abstract: Scrapbooks of the Salisbury Branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) (1951-1994). Scrapbooks contain newspaper clippings, constitutions, some minutes, and newsletters concerning branch and state division activities.
Online catalog terms:
American Association of University Women (AAUW). Salisbury Branch (N.C.)
Women--North Carolina--Salisbury--Societies and clubs
Size: Approximately 10 linear feet.
Provenance: Given by the American Association of University Women.
Access: No restriction.
Copyright: Retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law. Introduction The Salisbury Branch of the American Association of University Women was organized in 1951 under the leadership of Mrs. T. Fred Henry (Juanita). Over the years the branch has been involved in a variety of issues. In 1953, AAUW carried the fight to put a woman on the Salisbury, NC city school board (Mrs. Bryce C. Rufty), and the following year it co-sponsored (along with Rowan Public Library) the first city-wide children's art exhibit. In 1955, the branch joined other Salisbury women's groups to carry out its own world affairs conference. Beginning in the same year and lasting through 1958, women in the Salisbury AAUW promoted the establishment of a mental health clinic which was finally created in 1960. An international textile exhibit owned by Women's College in Greensboro, N.C., (now UNC-G) came to Rowan Public Library through the auspices of AAUW in 1956, and, in 1957, the branch again sponsored an art exhibit as well as a world affairs workshop. In 1958, a great books discussion group was founded by the branch, Rowan Public Library, and Delta Kappa Gamma, with discussions being led by Spencer Murphy, editor of the Salisbury Post. In the following two years, AAUW helped Rowan Public Library hold night hours and sponsored the publication of Sketches of Old Rowan, a collection of drawings and short articles featuring historic sites in the area. In 1961, the branch worked to restore the Old Setzer School, the oldest one-room schoolhouse in the county. Ten years later the branch sponsored Elizabeth "Liddy" Dole's speaking engagement in Rowan County, and began holding annual used book sales as a fundraiser. The Salisbury Branch of AAUW continues to offer its members the opportunity to broaden their own horizons, helping them to build better communities and contribute more intelligent solutions to local, state, and national problems. This collection consists primarily of scrapbooks that contain newspaper clippings, snapshots, some minutes, and newsletters from both the local branch and state divisions.
Series I. Scrapbooks
Scrapbooks of the Salisbury branch of the American Association of University Women (AAUW) that record the activities of the local branch. There are newspaper clippings, primarily from the Salisbury Post, and some minutes, snapshots, and newsletters. Loose materials, of the same type as listed previously, are placed in folders with the appropriate scrapbook by year.
Box 1. 1953-56
Box 2. 1956-57; 1957-1958; 1958-1959; 1959-1960
Box 3. 1961-1962
Box 4. 1962-1963
Box 5. 1964-1965; 1965-1966
Box 6. 1966-1967
Box 7. 1969-1971
Box 8. 1971-1972; 1972-1973
Box 9. 1973-1975; 1975-1977
Box 10. 1977-1980; 1980-1985
Box 11. 1985-1995