- The Rowan Genealogical Society
- The North Carolina Genealogical Society
- Local Genealogical Societies (compiled by the North Carolina Genealogical Society)
- The North Carolina NCGenWeb Project
- The Rowan County NCGenWeb Page
- State Library of North Carolina
- North Carolina Office of Archives and History
- North Carolina ECHO, Exploring Cultural Heritage Online
- North Carolina Newspaper Digitization Project was a project that made early newspapers in NC 1752 - 1890s available on the NC State Archives. This site included newspapers published in Salisbury ranging from 1799 - 1898. The NC Archives no longer hosts this project. They have partnered with Chronicling America and now these NC newspapers are available at this link
- Chronicling America America's historic newspaper pages from 1836 - 1924. A joint project of the Library of Congress and the National Endowment for Humanities - this site provides digital access to early newspapers country-wide.
- North Carolina Newspaper Project This is a listing of the newspapers of North Carolina that have been microfilmed. No actual access to the newspapers themselves. Check the library catalog for newspapers available here.
Civil War Research Resources
- Civil War Sailors and Soldiers System - The National Parks Service has a free database in which you can search for soldiers and sailors as well as events, battlefields, and other information for the Civil War.
- National Archives on Civil War Research
- State Archives Information
- Making of America - War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Armies. 128 volumes and The War of the Rebellion: A Compilation of the Official Records of the Union and Confederate Navies 30 volumes. This is considered to be the definitive record of the Civil War. It was produced by the U.S. War Department between 1880-1900. Cornell University has made these volumes available on line for free. Cornell University has moved this collection to the HathiTrust, while it is still available for free it looks and navigate differently. The War of the Rebellion volumes, both Armies and Navies, are also available online at Internet Archive with no fee.
- The American Civil War Homepage An interesting site with links to information on the Civil War from University of Tennessee.
- United States Civil War Center A resource for researching maintained by Louisiana State University.