#9613 Soldiers' Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church Collection
Soldiers' Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church Collection
Abstract: Newsletters and miscellaneouds bulletins of Soldiers' Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church of Salisbury, NC. 1980s-
Online catalog terms: African Americans--North Carolina--Salisbury--History Churches--North Carolina--Salisbury Soldiers' Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church (Salisbury, NC)
Size: Approx. 1 linear foot.
Provenance: Gift of Soldiers' Memorial Church
P.O. Box 4232
Salisbury, NC 28145
Access: No restriction.
Copyright: Retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
In 1864, three men, Barry Davis, George Willia, and a Mr. Williams met in a boot shop in the Henderson Pines section of Salisbury to plan a church for the freedmen of the area. They later were joined by Emanuel Jones, Simon Jefferson, William Boyden and others who secured the help pf the Freedmen's Bureau and organized Mount Zion Society, sometimes known as Salisbury Station, an affiliate of the A.M.E. Zion Church.
With Thomas H. Henderson as its pastor, the church held its first meetings in the boot shop, later moving to the Freedmen's Building on East Council Street. A. G. Kesler was a leader of the effort to build this first building and, in 1867, the annual conference of the A.M.E. Zion Church appointed him pastor of the fledgling congregation. Unfortunately, during his first year as pastor, this first building was destroyed in a storm, but he and the congregation quickly rebuilt. And in 1872, the Trustees, with William Boyden as chairman,
Folder 1 1983
Folder 2 1987-88
Folder 3 1991
Folder 4 1992
Folder 5 1993
Folder 6 1994
Folder 7 1995
Folder 8 1996
Folder 9 1997
Folder 10 Miscellaneous materials