Kirchin032

KIRCHIN032LR.jpg

Title

Description

This slide is labeled "halfway off" meaning the pavement has been partially removed in order to repave.  Streetcar tracks are clearly visible.

There are several businesses in view.  One in particular is the Geo. W. Kirwan & Co.  According to a 1914 city directory, the Kirwan business (a men's clothing shop) was located at 13 N. Charles Street, Baltimore, Maryland.

The "moving sign" for the business next door (to 319 N. Charles Street) also helps determine the image is of Baltimore.

Several things to notice in this image.  On the left, there appears to be a police officer/crossing guard holding a sign and helping someone (in a white outfit) with a package cross the street.

There are several automobiles in view and a street car making its way up the street.

 

Date

1910-1930

Contributor

Cathy Kirchin

Rights

The materials in this collection are made available courtesy of Rowan Public Library for use in research and private study. Images and text may not be used without prior permission from Rowan Public Library, Edith M. Clark History Room.

Type

Still Image

Original Format

Glass Lantern Slide

Physical Dimensions

3-1/4" by 4"

Citation

“Kirchin032,” Edith Clark History Room, accessed July 6, 2022, https://edithclark.omeka.net/items/show/81616.

Output Formats